Sterile_Technique,
@Sterile_Technique@lemmy.world avatar
OpenStars,
@OpenStars@startrek.website avatar

Congrats, you just entered the running to become the next CEO of Boeing. :-|

Maeve,

CSX thanks you for taking the heat off them.

Shady_Shiroe,
@Shady_Shiroe@lemmy.world avatar
BoxOfFeet,

What is this from? And why are there like, 5 GG1 locomotives connected together?

Etterra,

Drag the lone person onto the more crowded line for a higher score.

Apytele,
studentnakahiro,

Actually that creates an interesting question about a lot of philosophical concepts

SuddenDownpour,

Congratulations, the trolley has derailed, crashing into the ground between the two groups of tied up people. All the passengers inside the trolley are now dead.

uis,

All the passengers inside the trolley are now dead.

Why? Trolley derailment is harmless for passangers.

SkyezOpen,

The trolley is the bus from Speed.

uis,

I don’t get this reference

SkyezOpen,

Movie where a bus has a bomb that will explode if the bus goes under 50 mph.

Etterra,

You must be new to Earth.

uis,

Привет, земляне

Catsrules,

I hate to tell you this but Speed came out 30 years ago. I think we are just old.

SuddenDownpour,

Oh, TIL, that’s cool

meowMix2525,

…what did you think was going to happen when it went over the people tied to the tracks? That would most certainly also end in derailment.

mexicancartel,

I think the people tied on the rail also die because trolley must be derailed perperdicularlyto the rail so everyone can die

interdimensionalmeme,

Finally the torment ends !

Anticorp,

There are people on the trolley too. Be unbroken.

interdimensionalmeme,

Trolleys are quite slow affairs, like all public transport they happen at the leisurely pace of thevunemployed.

We can presume that all passengers of the trolley would prefer the trolley be stopped in this controlled manner than via a further uncontrolled collision.

Also, since passengers have never been explicitely mentionned in the premise, they do NOT exist. After all, many version of the trolley problen even go so far as to stipulate your kin relationship with the potential victims on the tracks to sway your decision.

If there had been passengers they would have mentionned repeatedly, yet they have not.

No, the only person on the trolley is the conductor, the one person with more responsibility than the switch flipping audience stand-in.

Not suprising, as a lot of scheduled public transportation travels in a state of under-utilization.

And for that reason, controlled derailment is the only moral certainty, as the fact that the trolley has no brakes is the only guaranteed fact universally included in this problem AND ensuring safe operability of the trolley is a universal responsibility of all persons driving a vehicle in public.

KillingTimeItself,

im just trying to figure out why theres a picture of a railroad switch in this meme.

The railroad switch is fine, working as intended even. Nothing changed, as far as it’s concerned at least.

AtariDump,
answersplease77,

he thinks exactly how a GOP canidate thinks about student loans, health care,…etc

Mycatiskai,

This has always been my option. Derail the train, if there is a moral choice it is to do everything you can to stop the trolley and failing that is the only guiltless choice.

If you tried a third option over the two choices given then you can’t feel guilty if the third option doesn’t work.

Klear,

Hack into the trolley controls the day before, got it.

KillingTimeItself,

i like this opinion “well, your honor. I wanted to fuck around and find out, and i found out.”

Mycatiskai, (edited )

If I was forced to chose between one life or five lives, I chose the possibility of property damage.

Edit: I added the word If, which I missed originally.

KillingTimeItself,

well, to be clear, you weren’t forced to choose, you were presented with an option to make a choice, you could’ve just left it alone.

Mycatiskai,

Oops I missed the word If at the beginning of my comment.

I shall fix it, I guess derailing the train is the fourth option, standing by and doing nothing is the third option.

KillingTimeItself,

Who is forcing you? Now im even more fucking confused? What kind of trolley problem is this.

“if you were standing at the rail switch of a trolly heading towards 4 people, and flipping the switch would divert it killing 1 person. But there was a person behind you holding a gun to your head, telling you to switch it, would you switch it?”

Quadhammer,

Derailing the trolley kills the 10 passengers aboard

Mycatiskai,

As passengers their families would be given insurance payouts by the train company so that would be fine.

OpenStars,
@OpenStars@startrek.website avatar

How many people were inside the trolly though, and would die if it derailed?

AdrianTheFrog,
@AdrianTheFrog@lemmy.world avatar

They would only die if it crashed/tipped over. The image says the train would stop safely, so I assume the friction and center of mass are low enough to prevent it from tipping.

OpenStars,
@OpenStars@startrek.website avatar

“Safe” for the passengers then, but is nobody else truly around that could get hurt by the derailment?

Also, how many tied to the tracks are literally murderers who if not themselves killed in this manner, will go on to kill many more again?

Or did these people - cult members? - have themselves tied to the tracks willingly, wanting that easy death rather than slavery of the continued drudgery of existence?

I… might be overthinking this.:-P

considine,

You aren’t. There’s more backstory.

JohnDClay,

Double or nothing!

Double track drifting

lugal,

they don’t want you to know this option exists

DragonTypeWyvern,

Yeah, the secret cabal running everything:

Philosophy majors

starstorm_x1,
starstorm_x1 avatar

Sometimes, you just need to Kobayashi Maru the situation when you feel like you're faced with a "no-win" scenario like this

ummthatguy,
@ummthatguy@lemmy.world avatar
interdimensionalmeme,

I faced the Kobayashi Maru, tanked hits with shields down while I beamed over all that could be saved before the stranded ship was destroyed by the enemy.

The whole time I was firing at time scoring multiple hits while I circled and dodged.

Once the rescue operation was terminated, shields were raised to full and I concentrated on the lead ship. It was already heavily damaged and I promptly sent it to pagan klingon hell.

It was glorious. I continued firing at the next ship, the rage of our weapons soon punched a hole where their bridge once was.

As we turned toward the last ship, it had broken off, shamefully fleeing.

We could not pump enough ammunition before it would depart so I took decisive action.

I ordered to ram the enemy ship into its engine section, they were immediately disabled while we suffered crumpling damage to our evacuated fore section.

We pulled back and finished off the last survivor from a distance.

After the battle we scoured the friendly wreck and rescued a few more people as well as some klingon prisoners.

We dematerialized all remaining wreckagr from the areas, no communications made it out during the battle due to our jamming.

With the only witnesses aboard my ship I departed.

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

A trolley is heading towards 4 people. If you pull the switch, it will be diverted towards 1 person. Also, if you slip the switch by pulling it after the front wheels have passed but before back wheels do, it will probably come to a complete halt before hitting anyone, but there is a 20% chance that you’ll fuck up and kill all 5 people. There are exits to the east, north, west, and south.

What will you do? _

AnyOldName3,
@AnyOldName3@lemmy.world avatar

Look at the wheels to check for bogies. A train or tram without bogies will come to a stop. One with bogies will multi-track drift until the tracks get too far apart.

onion,

You just gotta switch between one bogies’ wheels

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

The tram is a low-floor streetcar and you cannot see the wheels from where you are. You identify it as a Flexity from some time after 2021.

You hear an emergency alarm from the Flexity streetcar.

What do you do? _

Nurse_Robot,

Look north

Edit, because north and south have already been done

Look West

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

To the west you see a Flexity streetcar coming down the tracks. It will pass by on your left side in a few seconds. The driver is a middle-aged black woman who, under other circumstances, might remind you of a television chef; at the moment, she looks dour and resigned, like a television chef whose frittata burned.

At the end of the street, there is a grand opening sign for a new fast-casual dim sum restaurant named Dim Sum Kitsch. The sign advertises $5 soup dumplings. There is a faint smell of frying oil coming from that direction.

The emergency alarm is blaring.

Nurse_Robot,

Walk west

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

You walk west to the end of the street. There is a fast-casual dim sum restaurant here, which smells lovely. On the other side of the intersection is a flower shop, but it appears to be closed today. Across the street are trolley tracks, and past that is a dog park. You can go north, south, east, west, or into the restaurant.

The sound of the tram is behind you now.

What do you do? _

Cabslock,

Eat some dim sum.

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

You enter the restaurant and, without even looking at the menu, begin ordering at the counter. The cashier, who you imagine is the owner’s daughter, is baffled by your perfect Cantonese pronunciation. She responds in English with the price and tells you it will be 12-15 minutes.

Fifteen minutes later, you are sitting at a table holding chopsticks and staring down three steamer baskets of dumplings. The street outside is clogged with ambulances, police, and screaming mourners, but that just means you have the restaurant all to yourself. The owner’s daughter replaces your teapot with a fresh pot of oolong.

GAME OVER

DUMPLING ENDING (2/?)

Final score 160/150

AlolanYoda,

This is an amazing string of comments. I look forward to crossing paths again

Nurse_Robot,

Enter restaurant

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

You enter the restaurant and, without even looking at the menu, begin ordering at the counter. The cashier, who you imagine is the owner’s daughter, is baffled by your perfect Cantonese pronunciation. She responds in English with the price and tells you it will be 12-15 minutes.

Fifteen minutes later, you are sitting at a table holding chopsticks and staring down three steamer baskets of dumplings. The street outside is clogged with ambulances, police, and screaming mourners, but that just means you have the restaurant all to yourself. The owner’s daughter replaces your teapot with a fresh pot of oolong.

GAME OVER

DUMPLING ENDING (2/?)

Final score 160/150

datavoid,

I don’t know what I just witnessed, but I’m here for it

IndiBrony,
@IndiBrony@lemmy.world avatar

Inspect the switch

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

You see a hand-operated railroad switch consisting of a lever, a brightly painted switch signal, and a switch stand. It is connected to a pull rod on the tracks. There is also a remotely controlled switch machine nearby; it appears this manual switch was left in for redundancy. A black and white sign nearby says DO NOT TOUCH.

The train is close enough that you could reach out and touch it, but that would be dangerous.

What do you do? _

IndiBrony,
@IndiBrony@lemmy.world avatar

Touch the train

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

You reach out totl touch the train. The metal siding of the train is cold and smooth, and the bright, saturated reds and blues painted along it remind you of a cartoon. There is an advertisement for a local law firm speeding past you too quickly to read.

A fifth of a second later, your ring fingertip is caught on the edge of a metal panel and sheared off.

Your finger is bleeding. What do you do? _

IndiBrony,
@IndiBrony@lemmy.world avatar

Panik

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

You scream, waving your hands over your head in a frantic dance. You fling blood droplets everywhere.

What do you do? _

menemen,

Kill all 5 people.

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

You activate your dark heart, moving so fast that you perceive the train coming to a crawl, then a stop. The sky itself looks dark, the physics of relativity cracking under the strain of your newfound power. Gliding on ink-black wings erupting from each limb, you approach, meet the gaze, then execute each of the track-bound mortals, only processing what your body is doing after you pull your claw out of the chest of your fifth and final victim. By the time the train arrives – seconds later by the timelines of the weak – you have already left this town for gorier pastures.

GAME OVER DEMON ENDING (1/?) Final score: 14/150

interdimensionalmeme,

Dig down one level

mriguy,

You are eaten by a grue

troglodytis,

This seems particularly cruel

Fuckfuckmyfuckingass,
@Fuckfuckmyfuckingass@lemmy.world avatar

I would say an 80% chance of killing anyone is preferable to a 100% chance.

jsomae,

This. On average it’s the same number of deaths, but there’s also the 80% chance to avoid the guilt of killing anyone. The guilt of killing 5 people is presumably not 5 times worse than the guilt of killing 1 person.

mokus,

Xyzzy

feannag,

I was not expecting to see this reference today. What do I do if the trolley is conducted by an angry little dwarf with a nasty knife?

mokus,

Pick it up after he throws it and throw it back!

KillingTimeItself,

Ok so lets think about this.

We have 1 person, and 4 persons, since there are five total. But since there is only a 20% chance, we can consider 20% of 5 people, to be the statistical average of one persons. Meaning that statistically, on average, this should do, absolutely nothing.

AlolanYoda,

Look North

IndiBrony,
@IndiBrony@lemmy.world avatar

Heh, that’s the name of my local news channel.

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

To the north, you see a quaint downtown district that shows signs of recent renovation, and even more recent sudden collapse. A gastro-brewpub advertises trivia on Tuesdays. There are two bearded men sitting at an outdoor table with their beers, watching in rapt horror as the trolley speeds towards the people bound to the tracks.

You hear an emergency whistle from the trolley.

What do you do? _

OneWomanCreamTeam,

Look south

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

Immediately to your south are the trolley tracks. On your left, the tracks diverge, leading towards the desperate, pleading faces of the track-bound.

On the other side of the tracks is an old grain silo preserved by a historical society. It looks freshly painted in white. In the distance, you see a block of slot houses all looking the same.

A woman in designer yoga pants is walking a panicked-looking husky.

The emergency alarm of the trolley is blaring.

What do you do? _

rmuk,

Get ye flask.

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

You can’t get ye flask.

AlolanYoda,

Take Husky i

OneWomanCreamTeam,

Examine grain house

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

On the side of the grain house is the words “OLDE MILL” in four-meter-high block letters. The original silo dates back to the late 1880s when the town was originally founded, before it was absorbed into the greater city metro. There’s a memorial plaque at the base, but you can’t read it because it’s on the other side of the tracks, and also because the speeding tram is in the way.

You expect that they may add a new memorial plaque after today.

The emergency alarms are blaring. There are screams ahead on the track.

OneWomanCreamTeam,

Go to grain silo

blanketswithsmallpox,

You find that your mother has already emptied it and lays sweating against it’s metallic surface like some sort of heavily breathing walrus with questionable white stains just around her neckline.

PoolloverNathan,

Examine trolley

Davel23,

Save game

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

Saved to slot 1. Name this save?

Bahnd,

Kant-stop-me-now-2024-4-8.trolly

match,
@match@pawb.social avatar

Saved as Kant-stop-me-now-2024-4-8.trolley.

To the north, you see a quaint downtown district that shows signs of recent renovation, and even more recent sudden collapse. A gastro-brewpub advertises trivia on Tuesdays. There are two bearded men sitting at an outdoor table with their beers, watching in rapt horror as the trolley speeds towards the people bound to the tracks.

You hear an emergency whistle from the trolley.

What do you do? _

Natanael,

Throw a wrench at the wheel. I don’t think my aim is good today though, but it got quite the speed

interdimensionalmeme,

Roll initiative

PoolloverNathan,

3

interdimensionalmeme,

Critical failure The wrench slips between the spokes but is then wedged right out and bonks you on the head. You fall unconscious.

interdimensionalmeme,

Ponder downtown’s gentrification

Bahnd,

Attempt to derail the trolly by pulling the lever while the front is past the switch track and the back isnt.

PoolloverNathan,

/etc/passwd

nul,

Check if it is Tuesday.

owenfromcanada,
@owenfromcanada@lemmy.world avatar

Get ye flask

flicker,

You can’t get ye flask.

owenfromcanada,
@owenfromcanada@lemmy.world avatar

GO DENNIS

VirtualOdour,

Kill jester

dunz,
@dunz@feddit.nu avatar
msage,

Yesterday this image randomly popped into my head.

Today I see it on Lemmy.

It’s always hilarious.

unwarlikeExtortion,

Obligatory sauce request incoming

ICastFist,
@ICastFist@programming.dev avatar

Densha de D, according to KYM. Can’t look for a proper chapter/page right now

sverit,

My first thought, thank you

answersplease77,

if this happens, it’s not good for OP xD

  • All
  • Subscribed
  • Moderated
  • Favorites
  • memes@lemmy.ml
  • DreamBathrooms
  • mdbf
  • ethstaker
  • magazineikmin
  • GTA5RPClips
  • rosin
  • thenastyranch
  • Youngstown
  • osvaldo12
  • slotface
  • khanakhh
  • kavyap
  • InstantRegret
  • Durango
  • provamag3
  • everett
  • cisconetworking
  • Leos
  • normalnudes
  • cubers
  • modclub
  • ngwrru68w68
  • tacticalgear
  • megavids
  • anitta
  • tester
  • JUstTest
  • lostlight
  • All magazines