blake,

A that takes on would have to:

• Have some kind of real-time interface. The chat-like style Spectrum.chat used was great for this (apart from Spectrum (source linked) being slow as hell).
  • Provide plenty of single sign-on. IndieAuth on by default could be a big help.
  • Have a cheap/free (at least sponsor open-source projects to be free), dead-simple way to host your own

Other nice-to-haves:

• Fediverse support of some kind.
  • Integration with Discord (hell, using Discord's forums, and bi-directional! It's possible with Discord's API, last I checked).
blake,

I'd like NodeBB to do this but since it's built on plain NodeJS it's pretty much impossible right now to cheaply shared-host it the way PHP CGI can. Everything else should be not just possible but almost easy to do¹.

It would also be really rad if the front page of some of these forums showed the general chat of a Matrix or Rocket.chat room as it scrolled by. That might give it a sense of life that forums on their own just don't have.

¹ okay I guess apart from ActivityPub. Which is why I said "Fediverse," maybe it would use FeatherPub or LitePub instead.

thisismissem,
@thisismissem@hachyderm.io avatar
devnull,
@devnull@crag.social avatar

@blake never say never! I've seen lots of interesting projects take on the whole "host Node.js on the cheap" aspect (@cloudron being one).

I won't bore you with details on why fits the bill for the other parts of your post, because you explicitly mentioned it.

PHP hosting wasn't always simple either. I remember messing around with php-fpm for far too long. Node will get there (still waiting after a decade though 🤔)

cc @thisismissem

blake,

@devnull @thisismissem I know there are a couple services like Heroku and Pikapods that are pretty cheap (or even free) and might be able to handle it pretty well. I think it's just a matter of streamlining that setup, and although this is probably way out of your power, hosting platforms sponsoring non-profit/open-source projects for free hosting since they often have trouble affording it.

devnull,
@devnull@crag.social avatar

@blake @thisismissem on that last note we do have a history of supporting open source projects, they only need to ask 🙂

There are some minor caveats to curb people from taking advantage, of course.

• All
  • Subscribed
  • Moderated
  • Favorites
  • forum
  • cubers
  • DreamBathrooms
  • thenastyranch
  • magazineikmin
  • Durango
  • osvaldo12
  • Youngstown