[Thread] Recommend me devastatingly sad songs? Please?

So I’ve always noticed when I’m as down as I can get, I find comfort is music that most people find super depressing all the way to unbearably depressing. Like slit-your-wrists depressing. Songs you’d expect to find someone hanging from a noose in their home on repeat to. These kinds of songs bring comfort because they make me feel like, ok, I’m not so alone with this shit.

And for context, really happy songs just seem the saddest, most devastating songs that there are, because you don’t have that, you don’t have that happiness, love, support, that glimmer of light everyone’s so happy about you know?

So gimme the saddest songs you can think of. I’m wearing Joy Division out.

Some other music/songs I’ve been listening to: Ren - Hi Ren (and some others of his), Elliott Smith, Micah P. Hinson, Portishead, Swans, Lykke Li - I Never Learn, Interpol, Chelsea Wolfe, Elton John - Rocketman, Matt Elliott, Savages - Adore

AHorseWithNoNeigh, (edited )
@AHorseWithNoNeigh@lemmy.dbzer0.com avatar
EssentialCoffee,

Pearl Jam - Last Kiss

Hephoh2,

You should look into Eels. “Electro shock blues” is so sad and it starts with a down note on “Elizabeth on the bathroom floor”.

Chetzemoka,

Can’t believe no one has mentioned It’s A Mad World yet:

youtu.be/4N3N1MlvVc4?si=-7kTHbNDPsNBHFuh

Also

Belly - Stay

Regina Spektor - Field Below

Tori Amos - Marianne, Twinkle, I’m Not In Love, Strange

Seether - Fine Again

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

Candelestine,

The thing about Gary Jules’ Mad World, is as hauntingly sad as it is, it also has this steady, subtle thread of defiance woven through it, that imo really elevates it to greatness. Makes it slightly less sad though, there’s some steel in there, where the whole song is rebuking the world.

I’ve always really liked Alex Parks’ slightly popier cover, she pushes that defiant tone a bit harder, reminiscent of a little Sinead imo:

youtu.be/ABFQOLZlfGU

NeedingvsGetting, (edited )

My favorite genre! I see you've already got Elliott Smith, so in the vein of hauntingly beautiful:

Greg Laswell - Your Ghost (A lot of his music is like this)
The National - I need my girl
Sun Kil Moon - Carry me Ohio

Other favorites
Local Natives - Heavy Feet
Boy & Bear - Wicked Game
Hurt - Alone with the Sea

Similar feel, but a little happier
Dope Lemon - Marinade

Voroxpete,

I have been preparing my entire life for this moment!

Daughter - Shallows

Placebo - Follow The Cops Back Home

Lanterns on the Lake - Another Tale From Another English Town

Amanda Palmer - Trout Heart Replica

Joni Mitchell - The Magdelene Laundries (cw: abuse - if you’re not looking for that sad try Come in From The Cold)

Secret Machines - 1000 Seconds

Silversun Pickups - Circadian Rhythm

Mogwai - Killing All The Flies

Porcupine Tree - Heart Attack in a Layby

Death Cab For Cutie - What Sarah Said

Iron & Wine - Passing Afternoon

Jimmy Eat World - Hear You Me

Tusks - Dissolve

The Flaming Lips - Mr Ambulance Driver

Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes

Manchester Orchestra - I Know How To Speak

The Midnight - Brooklyn (not to be confused with “Brooklyn. Friday. Love” which is the exact opposite end of the emotional spectrum)

Alter_Id,
Alter_Id avatar
dumptruckdan,
dumptruckdan avatar

The Cure - The Same Deep Water as You

Or just listen to Disintegration all the way through

The entire album The Final Cut by Pink Floyd

Yesterday When I Was Young (Roy Clark version, Glenn Campbell did this one too)

Tom Waits - Soldier's Things or Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis, or just throw on any Waits album and you'll find something unbearably sad among the bangers. Same with Nick Cave

WilhelmStroker,
@WilhelmStroker@lemmy.world avatar

Lots of good stuff in this thread. This one immediately sprung to mind

youtu.be/d_GSS6i0gWc?si=Ih5toP2r-Q32RigG

BraveSentry,

If you don’ t mind not understanding the lyrics, try the album Kauan by the finnish band Tenhi.

While were at finnish bands: some Nightwish songs are really great sad music: Away, Sleeping Sun and Deep Silent Complete come to my mind.

Also have a listen to Songs by John Dowland. Baroque but magnificentky sad if well sung.

brewbellyblueberry, (edited )

Lol, almost mentioned Tenhi in my OP, but I figured since they’re Finnish no-one is gonna know them either way. One of my favorite bands.

E: Also have to point out, they have “official” translations for their lyrics on their website all the way up to the previous to last album, done by the band themselves afaik. They’re not entirely a 100% accurate and they’ve taken some fairly big creative liberties in translating them, but close enough and since they’re official I give them a pass. Cool to see they get appreciated abroad, they’re not very well known over here back home.

Love John Dowland as well.

E2: Just in case anyone is interested:

Tenhi - Varpuspäivä/Sparrow Day,

Salain,

Vastakaiun

Varis Eloinen

Alter_Id,
Alter_Id avatar

Fuck, two Tenhi fans in one place (make that three now). Not something to be expected. Glad to see it though.

@BraveSentry @brewbellyblueberry

BraveSentry,

Nice coincidence. Though it makes sense that someone asking for sad songs might know and like Tenhi. Kuolesi jokeen, Etäisyyksien Taa and Saapuminen are my favourites. Now that I listened some memories arose and now I have to listen to the newer stuff they made. Thanks for reminding me Tenhi exist!

AcornCarnage,
@AcornCarnage@lemmy.world avatar

Lots of loss in my family in the last 10 years or so. As a result things like this are the most devastating for me. These two in particular are just gutting.

Warren Zevon - Keep Me in Your Heart

Harvey Danger - Jack the Lion

smotherlove,

Dance with the Devil by Immortal Technique. A song about an up-and-coming gangster being tricked into raping and killing his own mother. It’s the most brutal, soul-crushing song I’ve ever heard.

Gingerlegs,
glimse,
intelisense,
  • All
  • Subscribed
  • Moderated
  • Favorites
  • alternativenation@lemmy.world
  • GTA5RPClips
  • DreamBathrooms
  • thenastyranch
  • magazineikmin