thomasfuchs,
@thomasfuchs@hachyderm.io avatar

Thread about how we had “3D printed” houses over a hundred years ago.

Unlike the ones today these actually existed and were very affordable (think $6,000 in today’s money for a complete 1-bedroom house).

Today’s tech industry is a bullshit layer cake.

https://kolektiva.social/@sidereal/112293051206867591

Chris,
@Chris@mastodon.social avatar

@thomasfuchs A friend of mine lives in a 3 bedroom/2 bath, ~1,800 sq. ft. Sears house in DC. It seems fair to call it a modest house. Redfin and Zillow have it at about $1.2—1.3 million now.

fluffykittycat,
@fluffykittycat@furry.engineer avatar

@thomasfuchs the issue with housing is land, not construction. you can build a building that complies with modern building codes, or even a nice one, for an affordable price. remember that middle class people used to be able to afford brand new homes not that long ago.

the issue is all the land is owned by the rich who want to use scarcity to drive up prices and shut out non-market competition. NIMBYs, single family only zoning, etc. make housing unaffordable. not the cost of turning land into land with house

thomasfuchs,

@fluffykittycat Where I live (Tucson) you can buy a an empty land acre starting at $5k-$10k. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

davesdogmaggie,
@davesdogmaggie@mstdn.social avatar

@thomasfuchs I live in one of those houses. Not sure it’s sears but it’s one of the several kit homes from the early 1900s. An American Foursquare but I have not found it in any catalogs.

thomasfuchs,

@davesdogmaggie I guess they’re holding up at least not worse than other houses?

lkngrrr,
@lkngrrr@hachyderm.io avatar

@thomasfuchs @sidereal Though my former colleagues’ startup Reframe Systems gets closer to the original intent.

https://www.reframe.systems

thomasfuchs,

@lkngrrr @sidereal I was actually interested in similar dwellings a while back and contacted a few companies and heard literally nothing back.

It’s all vaporware unless I see a website where I can actually click a buy button.

lkngrrr,
@lkngrrr@hachyderm.io avatar

@thomasfuchs @sidereal Looks like they still want you to contact them to design the thing you want with them (yeah, this totally fits the old model, they have not deviated from our common heritage) but ground got broken in Arlington, MA for their first delivery. Should be a good one to watch.

https://housingcorparlington.org/affordablehousing/dorothyadu/

LinuxAndYarn,
@LinuxAndYarn@mastodon.social avatar

@thomasfuchs That's why Craftsman style homes and the tools Sears carried for ~100 years had the same name.

• All
  • Subscribed
  • Moderated
  • Favorites
  • random
  • DreamBathrooms
  • everett
  • osvaldo12
  • magazineikmin
  • thenastyranch
  • rosin
  • tester