Ignacio,
Ignacio avatar

I’ve been aware of Lemmy for a long time, but I’ve always been somewhat wary of it because it’s developed by tankies, and its flagship server (lemmy.ml) has a history of tolerating/encouraging tankie politics.... There’s just no way I could feel comfortable in a community that supports the right-wing nationalist Putin’s war on Ukraine, or outright denies the harsh repression meted out against Muslims in China. I’m far from the only one leery of Lemmy for this reason – the FediTips Mastodon account doesn’t recommend it , either.

– Jessica Smith, On Reddit and Its Federated Alternatives

Source.

And I agree. My position is very clear since Russia started its invasion in Ukraine. Not last year, but since 2014. Everywhere I hanged out, like the bird site, the zuck site or the snoo site, I didn't have any trouble defending and stating my position, besides the typical lonely tankie who often appeared.

And when I joined the fediverse for the first time... tankies, tankies everywhere. Obviously that was in one single Mastodon instance, but that experience was not positive for me. And luckily, the instance I'm in is more supportive and doesn't tolerate tankies. Same thing with sopuli, a Lemmy instance, where I can see posts about Ukrainian advances and success, or posts against Chinese government.

The more users, the more balanced the fediverse will be, but as that post says, there is still a lot to do against Muslim discrimination, etc.

• All
  • Subscribed
  • Moderated
  • Favorites
  • RedditMigration
  • DreamBathrooms
  • ngwrru68w68
  • modclub
  • magazineikmin
  • thenastyranch
  • rosin
  • khanakhh